Friday, January 7, 2011

Relevant or Honest?

What would you rather be:  relevant or honest?  In my line of work there is a great push to be "relevant." I understand this plea, this mantra, because things of faith, whether we call them spiritual or religious, can be rather, um, dusty.  People outside of our faith perspective often tell me that the problem with the church, Christianity, etc, is that it is irrelevant to their lives.  It has no connection.  Actually, I hear that from inside the walls of the church as well.  So the answer, of course, is to try and be "relevant."  But does being relevant mean be more entertaining?  Does it mean provide for me a buffet line of spiritual goods and services that I can sample and maybe buy?  Does it mean play that specific music that  moves me the way I like to be moved?  Does being relevant mean accommodation, whether to the culture or to our own self-interest?

Or would you rather be honest?  Honest that following Jesus means you put a high priority on community and relationships?  Honest that there is not a level playing field out in the world for the "other" who may not look like me, think like me, dress like me, believe like me?  Honest that, yes, the church is full of broken, often hypocritical folks, who sometimes do the exact opposite of what they say they believe?  Honest that sometimes in the name of "hospitality" we put more emphasis on the color and condition of the carpet rather than working on being a welcoming place to the "others" who might stumble into our communities?  Honest that the history of the church has periods of real darkness instead of light; that we have followed the liturgy of empire instead of the Kingdom/Reign of God focused on love?

So what would you rather be?  Relevant or honest?  Maybe a combo of both?  Ponder, examine, pray, meditate or dismiss...or maybe it's just not relevant, so who cares?
-M-

1 comment:

  1. Both. But to me relevant doesn't necessarily mean culturally relevant. To me it means relevant to the listeners' lives. And the Gospel IS relevant. The challenge is in communicating the relevance.

    ReplyDelete