Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Desert Rat

I'm a desert rat.

I grew up in the southwest sun and I like it.  I like the warm yellow glow of the southwest sun.  I like the sun shining brightly through my window early in the morning.  I like the feel of the sun on my bones.  I like that on a ridge or mesa you can see (what seems like) forever.  I like the way the southwest sun makes the red clay marble and glow.  I like the southwest sunset, the way the sky lights up as if it's an orchestra playing beautiful music to God.  I like the mountains in the southwest, the way the ponderosa pines allow you to just go walking, no trail needed, just walk in the woods.  I like the desert in bloom, I doubt much is prettier.  I like sitting by a stream listening to the sounds of children laughing and playing, while the sun glistens on the water.

And I like Mexican food.  I like the fresh tortillas, paper thin, soft and hot off the burner.  I like fresh chips made from those same tortillas, fried crispy and served with fresh salsa.  I like a really good taco with shredded meat seasoned just right, cooked in the fresh corn tortilla, served really hot with incredibly crisp lettuce on top.  As I write I can taste the savory seasonings and feel the joyous times at the table.  I like a really good margarita, with salt on the rim. Well, Mexican food just isn't good, Mexican food just isn't right without the salt. Really good crunchy salt.

Light and salt. 

Both warm my soul and make my heart smile.  Both calm my spirit.  Both make me feel safe and happy.   Both bring up some of my favorite memories.

I am called to be both in the world around me.

Interesting that God would use some of my favorite things to show me who I am to be.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment