Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Deaf, Dumb & Blind

Isaiah 58 is one of those pieces of scripture that you probably read at some point, but it didn't really register with your brain what it was saying.  Well, we used it for our prayer time at Emmaus last week, focusing on why God does not always respond to our prayers; or at least the way we want.  One of the main ideas Isaiah is sharing with the folks is that God may hear us (praying), but is not listening because we fail to address issues of justice, equity and relief.  Think about that.  When we ignore people, ignore the injustice they are experiencing, God may just not listen to our religious words, our pleadings, our petitions, cause they just sound trite compared to what is happening around us all the time.

When I want God's help but ignore those around me who are victims of abuse, why should God listen to me?  Especially if I am not being honest in my praying.  I found Isaiah's words quite shocking.  It kind of puts me on notice.

I encourage you to dig out your bible and read the entire chapter of Isaiah 58.  It seems pretty clear.  God is not interested in our religious words, our religious practices if we ignore poverty, the poor, anything that has to do with justice, equity and/or relief.  Yikes.

We challenged each other at Emmaus, during our prayer practice, to name those things, those issues of  justice, equity, relief that rattle around in our brains; that make deep imprints on our hearts, but that we never deal with or do anything about because it seems just too much; just too big; just too, too...?  I don't think it is our heart's desire to act deaf, dumb and blind to what goes around us on a daily basis.  I don't think we want our words or spiritual talk to be empty and shallow.  I just think it all just seems too much, too depressing, so I'll say the words and hope they stick to something out there, maybe even to God.

What's on your heart?  What picks away at you but you've never explored how to address it?  Human slavery?  Battered women?  Children in poverty... in your own backyard?  Environmental issues?  Economic justice issues?  What is it?  There is power is speaking that word and giving it to God.  What's on your heart?
-M-

1 comment:

  1. A pastor friend of mine recently asked what I (we) would do if we had all our financial needs met. Then he asserted that whatever the answer to this question, that is my (our) passion. I couldn't answer the question. This is highly troubling to me.

    ReplyDelete