Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Teachable Spirit?

I have been working with the boy lately, cleaning and organizing some of his stuff around the house.  I came upon a pile of his schoolwork from grade school days.  I had gathered it and set it aside to "deal with" later.  Today was later.  I smiled as I went through it knowing I was holding precious work.  Work that visibly shows his growth both in individual skills but also shows his growth as a human being.  This pile dates back to age 4 or 5 and he is currently 15, so you can imagine the span of work I held in my hands.

I sat down and took some time to take this walk down memory lane.  So much change.  So much growth.  Young hearts are so eager to know, and conquer, and explore.  So much joy taken and given in the learning process.  Such a great teachable spirit.  So many fun stories, so much joy for all of us watching him, helping him grow into what he is created to be.  (At 15, I must confess, not always so much fun now)

What about me?  Do I still have it?  Did I lose it, that teachable spirit?  Has the day become something to just get through?  In the process of "growing up" have I forgotten how to get excited about learning, growing and changing?  Maybe I just want to be engaged in the creative "fun" learning... but then I would miss the excitement and accomplishment of achieving the difficult and I would cheat myself out of the real self worth gained by the disciplined action of seeing something through.  And I would miss having fun stories to tell of my adventures along the way!

Something to be careful of, losing this teachable spirit thing.  Pretty sure God is still at work growing me into what I was created to be.  I best pay attention!

K

1 comment:

  1. That's kinda where accountability comes in, too, right?

    ReplyDelete