Saturday, March 12, 2011

Those pesky persistent things...

Tonight at Emmaus Mark asked us to ponder "What is wrong with our world today?"

Oh my where to begin...

Wars?  Poverty?  Greed?  The plethora of social justice issues?  Power hungry politicians that sell out their people to maintain the status quo or gain even more power or wealth?  Corporations greedily enhancing their profit margins at the expense of human beings or the ecosystem ?  People too afraid of law suits so they won't do "the right" thing?   Parents too busy with their lives to parent?  Teachers too overwhelmed by student load to effectively teach?  The list can go on and on.

Now I'm no rocket scientist... but as pressing and important as any one of those issues may be, somehow, I don't think they are "what's wrong" with our world.  I would submit it is as old as the garden of Eden.  In my humble opinion, "what's wrong", may boil down to just a couple of pesky, persistent things...

So here we go... Feel free to disagree... I won't be offended.

First and foremost I think it's selfishness.  I know for me, at the core of who I am, when I am most honest with myself, I want my own way.  And that's not enough, I want you to want it too!  Somehow, I don't think this makes me special or different than most folks wandering the globe today.  When I look at the list above, I think pretty much the whole thing falls into this category, doesn't it?  If you have doubts, browse any bookstore (Christian or secular), aisle after aisle of self help books on how to get what you want out of life.  A prominent television preacher even published a best seller on how to have your "best" life.  And he gives it to you in seven easy steps!  (As if the life you currently have is less than "best"? Really?)  So there you have it! Seven steps to have YOUR best life.  Hmmm.  The reality that we are so consistently drawn to information, philosophies and self help guru's (inside or outside Christendom) surely reinforces this point.  We are told to "visualize our reality" and "put out in the universe" or my personal favorite, "pray for God's best blessing" on what you want, whether it be a huge new house or a new shiny new Rolls Royce.

We really aren't a selfless people are we.

But as bad as that is, I'm not sure that's the worst of it.  It feels like there is a more dangerous game afloat.   An increasing attitude that I would say could certainly be called a new hedonism.  It is more and more culturally acceptable for us as individuals to focus on our pleasure.  If someone is uncomfortable, for almost any reason, for me to be around, I don't have to.  Culturally, I can effectively validate almost any type of self-absorbed, pleasure-centered behavior.  After all, it's my right isn't it? ... To pursue happiness... pleasure.  Self-indulged, immediate, satisfying pleasure.  Isn't it?  Almost daily there are  glaring examples either in the news or in some online article being promoted.  And Christians are right there in the thick of it.  Who could expect us to be any different?   We are bombarded daily with images and words supporting this new hedonism.  Troubling to be sure.

Is that who we are called to be?  Selfish, pleasure seeking individuals?  Surely God has a better life for us than this shallow shell of one we have settled for!  Surely in God's realm, "the other" matters.  Surely in God's plan, sacrifice and perseverance lead to maturity.  Surely I am called to live beyond this base level that any of mankind can settle for.  Surely there is a place for selfless love and mercy.  Surely grace redeems hearts.  Surely forgiveness heals wounds.


Oh Lent. Such a time of reflection.  May it lead to growth in grace and love.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment